Walking is the simplest alternative to driving for a short trip. All you need are comfortable shoes, and a will to wander. It's inexpensive, invigorating, and zero-emissions travel. In addition, you'll notice the richness of your neighborhood that is only a blur through the windshield of a car.
Local Pedestrian Paths/Trails
- Gibbs Street Pedestrian Bridge — This pedestrian and bicycle bridge provides safe and convenient access between South Waterfront and Lair Hill.
- South Waterfront Greenway — Following the South Waterfront Greenway Development Plan, the redevelopment will strive to balance the needs of the public and the health of the Willamette River. Construction is expected to be completed in late 2014.
- Portland Bureau of Transportation resources, info, and updates
- Pedestrian and bicycling information from Portland SmartTrips
- The Willamette Pedestrian Coalition is a resource for pedestrian advocacy
- An overview of Portland's Pedestrian Master Plan
- Walking tips, walking gear, and popular destinations from Drive Less, Save More