Walking is the simplest alternative to driving for a short trip. All you need are comfortable shoes, and a will to wander. It's inexpensive, invigorating, and zero-emissions travel. In addition, you'll notice the richness of your neighborhood that is only a blur through the windshield of a car.
Local Pedestrian Paths/Trails
- Gibbs Street Pedestrian Bridge — This pedestrian and bicycle bridge provides safe and convenient access between South Waterfront and Lair Hill.
- South Waterfront Greenway – A 4.35 acre park along the Willamette River which includes paved paths, public art, and riverfront views.
- Portland Bureau of Transportation resources, info, and updates
- Pedestrian and bicycling information from Portland SmartTrips
- The Willamette Pedestrian Coalition is a resource for pedestrian advocacy
- An overview of Portland's Pedestrian Master Plan
- Walking tips, walking gear, and popular destinations from Drive Less, Save More